Harry Connickuh everyone! Every year, the week before Christmas, we celebrate the life and works of Sir Harry Connick, Jr. This time around, returning guest Jane Dempsey joins us to talk about William Friedkin’s Bug, adapted from the Tracy Letts play! Here, Connickuh plays third fiddle to Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon as a pair of co-dependent strangers who shack up in an Oklahoma motel room to hide from the world, only to find themselves dealing with a strange bug infestation that may or may not be real. Check it out along with our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Aphid
2.5 parts crème de cacao
2 parts white plum brandy
2 parts tangerine juice
1 part clove-honey syrup
1 tsp Heritage
dash, dark chocolate bitters
½ tsp cocoa powder
3 parts steamed milk
- Make the clove-honey syrup by heating up some water to a low boil, and pouring it into a small mixing bowl with honey and about 1/2 tsp of ground clove. Mix until combined.
- Pour a bit of Heritage into the glass you want to use, and swirl it around to ‘rim’ the glass (coat the inside of the glass with the flavor). Pour out the excess.
- Heat up milk in a saucepan until it just starts to steam (don’t let it get up to a boil).
- Mix the cacao, brandy, juice and syrup in a separate glass and pour into the rimmed glass. Top with the steamed milk and stir to combine. Serve hot.
DRINKING RULES FOR BUG:
- Every time someone says the word “bug”
- Any time Peter launches into a different conspiracy theory
- Whenever the film actually shows outside the motel room
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Agnes screams, with raised fists, “I AM THE SUPER-MOTHER BUG!”
Join us next week as we celebrate real Christmas with the Chris Columbus classic Home Alone!