This week, Theo Estes of our spinoff web series Twin Cinema (subscribe to our Youtube channel for new episodes every other week) joins us to get artsy with Todd Haynes’ 1995 independent drama Safe, starring Julianne Moore!
ANNOUNCEMENT: Look out later this week for the launch of our biweekly spinoff podcast, Alcohollywood: On Tap, which will cover new releases, independent films, and offer interviews and festival coverage! Subscribe on iTunes!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Rare Fruit Diet
We made a suitably complex autumnal drink to match the season and the complexity of this arthouse drama, with all manner of fruity, herbal notes you need to help stave off the germs and smog of the 20th century.
3 oz persimmon-apple-lemon puree
1 oz fig-infused vodka
1 oz white apple brandy
½ oz crème de cassis
½ oz China-China
2 dashes, black walnut bitters
1) To make the puree, put 3 persimmons, two Braeburn apples and ½ oz lemon juice into a food processor and blitz until it forms a nice, smooth puree.
2) Combine remaining ingredients in shaker with ice and shake to combine. Strain into a wine glass and garnish with maraschino cherry and lemon wedge. Seal yourself in your metallic igloo, take a long look in the mirror, and enjoy!
DRINKING RULES FOR SAFE:
1) Drink every time Carol is shown extremely small in the frame
2) Drink each time you see a kickin’ new sweater
3) Drink anytime you hear a vehicle/machinery noise in the background
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Carol says to herself, “I love you. I really love you.”
Join us next week as we keep digging through Clint’s Criterion closet with Adam Kampenaar of Filmspotting, celebrating the fairy-tale genius of Charles Laughton’s classic The Night of the Hunter!