This week, it’s Christmas in August as Grant of Chip & Ironicus (and the new history podcast History Honeys) joins us once again to talk about another anime – Satoshi Kon’s Tokyo Godfathers! This hard-to-find holiday masterpiece follows a trio of charismatic hobos who stumble across a baby in the garbage, and the antics that ensue as they figure out what to do with it. The result is a fantastic blend of Kon’s wry, dark humor and stunning animation, with a great big beating heart in the middle. Get in the holiday spirit a little early this year as we give you our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Weeping Red Devil
A variant of the classic Godfather cocktail, we took Gin’s drink of choice (Four Roses) and added some Japanese plum brandy and a sake-lemon-spiced foam to ring in the Christmas season. But, you know, in August.
- Combine bourbon and plum brandy in a chilled cocktail glass.
- Add sake, egg white, lemon, almond milk and spices into a shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until emulsified.
- Strain slowly over the drink and garnish with a star anise pod.
DRINKING RULES FOR TOKYO GODFATHERS:
- Whenever the number ‘1225’ shows up or is spoken
- Any time the characters call each other names
- Every time you see trash on screen
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Hana says, “You’re too late. You just missed a very moving finale.”
Join us next week as we get warmed up next to The Bonfire of the Vanities!