This week, Marshall, co-host of our Youtube show Twin Cinema, joins us to talk about Takashi Miike’s bloody Japanese samurai flick 13 Assassins! When an evil, sadistic lord threatens to usher shogunate-era Japan into a new time of war, an old samurai gathers a team of 13 ronin to stop him. Does the film’s nonstop action at the end justify the long stretch of talking and walking in the beginning? Find out what we thought, and check out our custom cocktail and drinking game!
(Thanks to our sponsor Cards Against Humanity as part of the Chicago Podcast Coop!)
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Total Massacre
We opted for a simple, but spicy Japanese-inspired cocktail, with Nigori sake (served chilled) and homemade wasabi bitters. The whole thing is in-your-face and unrelenting, much like the last forty minutes of 13 Assassins.
3 parts Nigori sake
1 part lime syrup
Dash, wasabi bitters
anisette (for rinsing)
- Pour the anisette into your glass, swirl it around to ‘rinse’ the glass, then pour out the excess.
- Add sake, syrup and bitters, and stir to combine. Enjoy!
DRINKING RULES FOR 13 ASSASSINS:
1) Whenever you see rectangles
2) Any time you see spurts of blood
3) Every time a structure breaks or collapses (most of the final act)
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
The evil Nagitsuru asks Hanbei, “Is this what the time of war was like?”