It’s Oscar season once again, and Film Twitter impresario Jacob Oller (@JacobOller) joins us to talk about David McKenzie’s hard-hitting crime thriller/neo-Western Hell or High Water! When two brothers (Chris Pine, Ben Foster) take to bank robbery to save their mother’s farm in poverty-stricken west Texas, it’s up to an old Texas marshal (Jeff Bridges) to bring them in. Hear our thoughts on this (and the rest of the Oscar field), along with our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
(Thanks to our sponsor Cards Against Humanity as part of the Chicago Podcast Coop!)
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Texas Hold-Up
We decided to make a suitably spicy, boozy cocktail to fit the dry, apocalyptic Texas landscapes of the film, along with some carrot juice to keep your horses healthy. Yeehaw!
2 parts white corn whiskey
1 part mezcal
3 parts carrot juice
1/2 part blood orange-serrano syrup
dash, Mad Dog Fire & Damnation bitters
- To make the syrup, slice 1 serrano pepper into thin slices (the spicier you want it, the more seeds you keep) and combine them with the juice of two blood oranges, 2 tablespoons of sugar and a splash of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and stir till the sugar dissolves. Store and set aside.
- In a Mason jar with ice, add the whiskey, mezcal, carrot juice and syrup and stir to combine. Top with biters and serve with a pepper garnish.
DRINKING RULES FOR HELL OR HIGH WATER:
- Whenever you see on-the-nose billboards/graffiti reminding you of Big Banks/poverty
- Every time a character makes a racist joke
- Any time characters hang out on a front porch
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
The brothers’ attorney (Kevin Rankin) says, “You know they can foreclose on Friday, so come hell or high water, get the money to the bank on Thursday and then you are free and clear.”
Join us next week as we slice and dice our way through Takashi Miike’s Thirteen Assassins!
One thought on “OSCAR SPECIAL: Hell or High Water (2016) w/Jacob Oller”