Happy Valentine’s Day to all you movie/booze lovers out there! This year’s romcom is the listener-requested 2006 Nancy Meyers film The Holiday, starring Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet as a couple of down-on-their-luck ladies who decide to swap houses for the holidays to recharge their batteries. Along the way, they meet some hunks, engage in some slapstick, and learn a little thing or two about Old Hollywood. Listen to us yammer on about one of the better romcoms we’ve had to cover on this show, and enjoy our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
(Thanks to our sponsor Jackbox as part of the Chicago Podcast Coop!)
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Mr. Napkin Head
Since so many of The Holiday‘s characters trade hot chocolates, yet still wear white all the time, we decided to make a boozy hot white chocolate! Named after the lame dad-joke Jude Law uses on his kids, we spiked some rich white chocolate milk with spearmint schnapps and brandy. Served best with a shirtless Jude Law.
4oz bar of white chocolate
2 cups whole milk
2 parts brandy
1 part spearmint schnapps
1) heat milk chocolate to a simmer, then pour over broken-up white chocolate until completely melted.
2) Add brandy and schnapps.
3) TO MAKE STRAWBERRY PUREE: Blend strawberries into a puree and strain to get out all the pulp and make it nice and smooth.
4) Marble puree throughout the hot chocolate. Top with cocoa powder and white chocolate shavings.
DRINKING RULES FOR THE HOLIDAY:
- Whenever Cameron Diaz hallucinates herself in a movie trailer
- Any time the movie switches between Diaz’s and Winslet’s storylines
- When standard rom-com music cues come up (e.g. dated pop songs, etc.), and/or other composers are mentioned
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Jude Law says, apropos of nothing, “I have a cow in the backyard.”
Join us next week as we take another vacation to exotic Africa with the Tim Allen vehicle Jungle 2 Jungle!