This week, Theo joins us once more to talk Lisztomania, the off-the-wall glam rock biopic of famed German composer Franz Liszt, played by The Who’s Roger Daltrey! Lisztomania plays up the pseudohistorical tale of “history’s first rock star” in typical 70s camp fashion. Get ready for giant fake dicks, robes made of piano keys, and Richard Wagner as Zombie Rock Hitler being defeated by the power of love; we sure weren’t. Take a listen and check out our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
(Thanks to this episode’s sponsor Emporium Arcade Bar as part of the Chicago Podcast Coop!)
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Liszt-ylvania
1-2 tbsp fresh blueberries
1 part Lavender-honey syrup
3 parts vodka
1 part lemon juice
3 parts sparkling water
- TO MAKE THE SYRUP: Add dry lavender in a saucepan with water and a tablespoon or two of honey. Let that get warm and steep for 1-2 hours, then store.
- Muddle blueberries, then add syrup, honey and lemon juice and shake to combine. Strain over rocks into glass then top with sparkling water.
DRINKING RULES FOR LISZTOMANIA:
- Whenever you see naughty bits, whether real or artificial
- Any time a new glam-rock song begins
- Every time you see historical anachronisms (trains, electric guitars, etc.)
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Cosima says, “Sweet music!”
Join us next week as we meet in the middle with the Frankie Muniz vehicle Big Fat Liar!