This week on Alcohollywood, we’re getting weird once again with special guest Nathan Rabin (staff writer of The Dissolve and co-author of Weird Al: The Book)! This time, we take on “Weird Al” Yankovic’s only feature film, 1989’s UHF! The film is a distillation of Weird Al’s carefree, joyful, tongue-in-cheek parodic style, as slacker dreamer George Newman (Al) acquires a UHF station and fills it with all manner (or AL manner?) of off-the-wall programming. The result is messy, but delightful in its own way, and definitely earns its cult status. Take a listen, and check out our drinking game and custom cocktail below!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Ultimate Hibiscus Fizz
A take on the Ramos gin fizz, this UHF-inspired drink adds in a splash of color, bold fruit flavors and sparkly fizziness to match Weird Al’s frantic, infectious energy (and his equally loud Hawaiian shirts). You’d be “STUUPIID!” not to enjoy it.
1 part Hum hibiscus liqueur
2 parts gin
1 part egg whites
1 part orange juice
3 parts pineapple juice
2 parts ginger ale
1) Combine gin, liqueur, egg whites, and fruit juices in a shaker with ice; shake vigorously for at least a minute.
2) Pour straight into a Collins glass with ice and top with ginger ale. Garnish with citrus slices/mint/pineapple leaves/Yappy’s Dog Treats.
DRINKING RULES FOR UHF:
- Whenever someone hurts or disfigures someone’s face
- Any time a character engages in an explosive, shrill tantrum or outburst
- Every time a character makes a specific, identifiable pop culture reference
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Kuni (Gedde Watanabe) and his crew shout “SUPPLIES!”
Join us next week as we play a game of Thermonuclear War with a baby faced Matthew Broderick in the 80s Cold-War-meets-computer-games flick WarGames!