This week, Darren Aronofsky aficionado (and regular guest) Derek Jarvis returns to help us unpack the psychedelic, time-hopping spiritual masterpiece The Fountain, starring Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz as two lovers navigating the mysteries of the Tree of Life across three different time periods. The results are beautiful, deeply engrossing, and well worth a watch along with our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
The Loose Canon Podcast – Podcast home of listener Caroline Fulford!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Fountain of Vermouth
We wanted something floral and earthy, something that might just taste like sap from the roots of the Tree of Life. (Plus, we just like booze puns.) With that in mind, here we bring you a simple, three-ingredient cocktail to match the three timelines. Enjoy!
1 part genepi
1 part chai-infused sweet vermouth
3 parts gin
orange peel (for garnish)
- To make the vermouth, just throw some red chai tea bags into a bottle or jar of sweet vermouth and let infuse for 1-2 days.
- Combine in a cocktail glass and garnish with orange peel.
DRINKING RULES FOR THE FOUNTAIN:
- Whenever a character whispers
- Every time the timeline shifts
- Any time circles are prominently featured in the frame
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Hugh Jackman finally says, “I’m finished.”
Join us next week as we gear up for Oscar season with the Best Picture nominee Hell or High Water!