This week, Patrick O’Rourke of the Peaches and Hot Sauce podcast network joins us to talk about the independent time-jumping thriller Run Lola Run! The breakout film of director Tom Tykwer (Cloud Atlas), the film features a twenty-minute ticking clock scenario in which Lola (Franka Potente) has to wrangle 100,000 marks to save the life of her boyfriend. Whenever she fails, she just says ‘No!’ and starts again, creating a whole new set of circumstances she has to overcome. The result is frenetic and fun, and we dig into it with our custom cocktail and drinking game!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Drink Lola Drink
We decided to honor the German heritage of this week’s film by creating a black forest cake-flavored cocktail. We’re particularly proud of the chocolate and coconut rim (because, in our book, black forest cake has, and will always have, coconut).
- Muddle brandied cherries in a shaker, and add Rheinehall, Frangelico, creme de cacao and chocolate bitters.
- Line the rim of a martini or cocktail glass with chocolate sauce, then rim with coconut flakes.
- Strain the cocktail into the martini glass and serve.
DRINKING RULES FOR RUN LOLA RUN:
- Every time Lola starts running again
- Polaroid Premonitions ™ (those flashes of other people’s lives after Lola bumps into them)
- Whenever you see a clock in a shot
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Lola prays in voiceover, “Help me. I’m just gonna keep running, okay?”
Join us next week as we get up to more time-travel mayhem with Shane Carruth’s independent film Primer!