Alcohollywood is back for 2017, and we brought Consequence of Sound‘s Blake Goble out to sea to talk about Kathryn Bigelow’s 2002 subdrama K-19: The Widowmaker! This movie stars a Russian Harrison Ford and a not-so-Russian Liam Neeson as captains of a radioactive sea boat that runs into a bit of trouble. Take a listen and enjoy our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: One Thousand Degrees and Rising
This crisp cocktail for K-19 the Widowmaker features vodka (of course, it’s a movie about Russians) cucumber, basil, and orange liqueur to fight off that scurvy! We also threw a dash of jalapeno tincture to add a little nuclear fire.
1-2 slices cucumber
2-3 basil leaves
2 parts vodka
1 part Cointreau
3 parts Limonada
dash, jalapeno tincture
- Muddle cucumber and basil at the bottom of a Collins glass.
- Add ice, vodka and Cointreau, then top with Limonada and jalapeno tincture
- Stir and serve with a cucumber wheel.
DRINKING RULES FOR K-19 THE WIDOWMAKER:
- Whenever Harrison Ford ignores concerns and carries on with the mission
- Every time the camera moves through walls and objects
- Any time a character says the word ‘comrade’
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Ford’s captain says to his crew, “You are all, all of you, heroes.”
Join us next week as we do Valentine’s Day with the Baz Lurhmann version of Romeo + Juliet!