This week on Alcohollywood, guest Ele Matelan of WildClaw Theatre (and our friend from Our Fair City) grabs a milkshake and sits down with us to talk about listener request and 2007 arthouse darling There Will Be Blood! Among one of the more contemplative films in Paul Thomas Anderson’s repertoire, TWWB tells the story of Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis, in an oft-admired and long-impersonated performance), an unscrupulous oil man who seeks to start and expand his oil empire from nothing. Full of gorgeous shots, fascinating performances, and a fair share of psychologically complex characters, this one gave us plenty to talk about. Give us a listen and check out our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Your Milkshake
We would be remiss if we did a There Will Be Blood episode without making a boozy milkshake, so that’s what we’ve got! The blackberry puree (either buy some blackberry preserves or make your own) helps give it that dark color to more closely resemble oil, and the vanilla and amaretto should cool you down nicely as you gaze upon the arid desolation of the Texan landscape.
ice cream (vanilla/strawberry) (or ice cream flavor of your choice!)
1 part amaretto
1) Combine equal parts blueberries, sugar and water in a saucepan, and boil that down until it forms a thick syrup or jam.
2) Combine jam, ice cream, vodka and amaretto into a blender; mix until you’ve got a milkshake.
3) Pour into a nice big glass, top with whipped cream and a cherry, and drink whilst bludgeoning your nemesis to death with a bowling pin.
DRINKING RULES FOR THERE WILL BE BLOOD:
- Whenever you see or hear representations of God (crosses, sermons)
- Any time you see a prominent amount of oil
- Every time someone slaps another character
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Well, you know what it is. “I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!”
Join us next week as we revisit our old friend Ah-nold with the earl 1980s sci-fi schlockfest The Running Man!