For the month of May, we’re kicking off Video Game Movie Month, where every week we take on a new film adaptation of a video game!
To get us started, Chris from the Nerd Outcast Podcast joins us for Paul WS Anderson’s debut feature, Mortal Kombat, based on the bloody fighting game of the same name! Telling the tale of three warriors forced to enter a martial arts tournament that will decide the fate of the world, this film is cheesy as hell. However, it goes about its business in a recklessly charming way that allows it to overcome its many faults. Throw in some wonderfully campy performances and some competent fight choreography, and you have a surprisingly solid video game movie. Test your liver’s might with our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Flawless Victory
This citrusy, spicy cocktail has all the smoke and kick of your average day in Outworld. Think of it like a Bloody Mary made from the blood of your enemies, and also a demon or two.
1 part smoky scotch (e.g. Islay scotches like Laphroaig)
1 part gold tequila
3 parts tomato juice
splash, lemon juice
black pepper, red chili flakes, paprika
1) Muddle radishes in shaker; add ice and remaining ingredients and shake.
2) Combine pepper, paprika and chili flakes on plate and apply to rim of glass.
3) Pour cocktail into glass; enjoy.
DRINKING RULES FOR MORTAL KOMBAT:
- Whenever a character performs a ‘special move’
- Any time a character gives a sick 90’s-era burn (Johnny Cage will provide most of these)
- Every time characters offer naked exposition about characters or plot points. (e.g. Rayden telling the main characters their character flaws for the sake of the audience)
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Johnny Cage quips, “Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole.”
Join us next week as we continue Video Game Movie Month with the 1999 space-sim adaptation/Episode I prequel trailer follow-up Wing Commander!