This week, Leah Pickett of Consequence of Sound and other fine publications joins us to delve into our second Tim Allen movie in as many months – 1997’s Jungle 2 Jungle! The American remake of a French comedy that Roger Ebert described as “one of the worst movies ever made,” J2J stars Tim Allen as, of all things, a selfish commodities broker who has to take his jungle-raised son to New York City and teach him the ways of the concrete jungle. Throw in gratuitous tarantula torture, icky stereotypes about native peoples and gays, and subplots about coffee futures and the Russian mafia, and you’ve got a mess of a movie. Give us a listen and check out our custom cocktail and drinking rules!
Donation Page for Rocket Crocodile’s Action Squad – We’re helping out with a Flop House-inspired charity drive to raise $10,000 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – is a fantastic and much-needed cause we’re happy to support. Donations will be matched, so your gift will do double the good!
LISTEN HERE OR DOWNLOAD:
THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Aweeuuughh (thanks to @tlarn for the drink name suggestion!)
We made a suitably tropical and fruity cocktail for such a jungle-themed filmed, named after Tim Allen’s signature howl. All kinds of tropical fruits and vegetables were thrown into this thing, so you’ll get your vitamins even as you get plastered!
½ fresh papaya
½ fresh pineapple
red bell pepper
2 parts passion fruit-infused cachaça
1 part Hum hibiscus liqueur
1) Chop up fruits and veggies and throw into a juicer. (Use your favorite tropical fruit juice as substitute if you don’t have a juicer!)
2) Add 2 parts of the combined juice in a blender with ice, cachaça and Hum, and blitz till combined.
3) Pour into a margarita glass, and garnish with the remaining wedges/peels/leaves of your fruit.
DRINKING RULES FOR JUNGLE 2 JUNGLE:
- Every time Mimi-Siku or another character shoots something with an arrow or dart
- Any time Mimi calls Tim Allen “Baboon”
- Every uncomfortable in retrospect closeup of the World Trade Center (never forget)
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Tim Allen does his Tim Taylor grunt when he growls, “Oh noooo….”
Join us next week for Oscar season chat, as we take on Best Picture nominee (and, in a just universe, winner) Mad Max: Fury Road!